Tuesday 28 December 2010

India - a cookbook by Pushpesh Pant

Received for Christmas from my two fantastic sons (admittedly they did have some help choosing the gift!).  Having told my father in law (originally from Gujurat state) that I had received this fantastic new Indian cookbook, his scoffing was audible - doesn't anyone know that all the Indian recipes you need to know are passed down through the family?  Admittedly, the family favourites (dry chicken and potato, and spiced lamb meatballs) are from my father in law, who is a fantastic cook, but I think you can never have too many cookery books, and the more you can draw inspiration from, the better your end results.

So, onto the book.  India cookbook - by Pushpesh Pant.  It's telling me it's the only book on Indian food I'll ever need - let's see.

Off to supervise my husband cooking the Kashmiri Murg Kebab (p.217) over hot coals - who am I kidding, there's only one good bbq cook in our house, and it's certainly not me.  Back tomorrow for a little more insight into the book, the recipe and the result!

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you're ccooking authentic indian....and not the Bangladeshi proxy that's sold as indian food in restaurants like Rajasthan and all over Brick Lane....Kashmiri food has a lot of flavor as they do not use ground spices and prefer whole spices...and they like red chillies as opposed to green chillies...it's a pity the mess going on there otherwise i could live there....write some more...Regards Anshuman

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep checking back - I'll be posting every day - you'll get to know all about our local spice lady as well!

    ReplyDelete